Great Britain 1842 shilling
This specimen was lot 33076 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $372. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Shilling 1842 MS64 NGC. Possessing much more eye appeal than is frequently found, the surfaces a luxurious silvery-white aglow with cartwheel luster whirling across silken fields. From the Lake County Collection." This type was struck 1838-66 in large quantities with a slightly modified obverse continuing until 1887. This is a fairly common date.
Recorded mintage: 2,095,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver, .168 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 734.1, S-3904.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.