Great Britain 1840 shilling
"Victoria Shilling 1840, Young Head, MS65 PCGS, a really rare early date in this condition, in fact 1840 shillings are hardly ever encountered at all; this one was found by the present consignor a few years ago in a collection in the UK that had been held for decades, and it's a staggering coin in terms of its eye appeal plus technical quality, Gem Prooflike UNC, fully struck with every tiny detail bold, reflective surfaces with such glitter that it resembles a proof of record but in fact the surfaces are simply glassy, and toned in a rich combination of mauve, amber and gold, silvery gray, and greenish blue. The iridescence is delicate but beautiful. Letters of the legend are outlined in silvery brilliance, a phenomenon that is seen only on coins that are totally original. An elegant gem of a coin! The cataloguer cannot remember seeing or writing about another 1840 shilling of anywhere near this quality, in some 35 years of looking at tens of thousands of English milled coins. Its SCBC value is meaningless for a coin such as this. It's one of the present owner's favorite pieces within this collection full of wonderful coins. From the Guilford Courthouse Collection."This type was struck 1838-66 in large quantities with a slightly modified obverse continuing until 1887.
Recorded mintage: 1,639,000 plus a few proofs.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver, .168 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 734.1; S.3904.
- Tucker, Warren, Scott Cordry and John Kraljevich, Heritage Sale 3010: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.