Great Britain 1839 penny
This specimen was lot 29701 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $3,055. The catalog description noted, "Victoria bronzed-copper Proof Penny 1839 PR65 PCGS. Featuring the young head of Victoria with W.W. on truncation and seated, helmeted Britannia with shield and ornamental trident. A fully-struck proof with exquisite detail throughout and choice, glossy surfaces in a delectable shade of chestnut brown. Nearly flawless in all respects and incredibly appealing as such." The copper pennies of Victoria were issued 1841-60 in fairly large quantities but are scarce compared to the massive issues of the smaller bronze pennies of 1860-94. The pure copper composition also caused the coins to wear more quickly than bronze, making high grade specimens even scarcer. Like the United States half cents of the same period, many varieties exist, avidly pursued by specialists. The bronzed copper specimens of 1839, 1841 and 1853 are rare and expensive.
Recorded mintage: est. 300.
Specification: bronzed copper.
Catalog reference: KM 739a, Peck-1479.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- 1839 half penny
- 1839 ¼ farthing
- 1839 farthing
- 1839 Maundy penny
- 1839 1½ pence
- 1839 Maundy tuppence
- 1839 threepence
- 1839 Maundy groat
- 1839 sixpence
- 1839 shilling
- 1839 half crown
- 1839 half sovereign
- 1839 sovereign
- Great Britain 1839 5 pounds "Una and the lion"
- Coins and currency dated 1839
- return to coins of Great Britain