Great Britain 1839 half penny
This specimen was lot 4096 in Goldberg sale 80 (Los Angeles, June 2014), where it sold for $822.50. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Proof Halfpence, 1839. Bronze. Victoria. As issued in the Coronation set. Proof only issue for this year, mintage estimate 300 pieces. NGC graded Proof 65 Brown." The copper half pennies of Victoria were issued 1838-60 in fairly large quantities but are scarce compared to the massive issues of the smaller bronze halfpennies of 1860-94. The pure copper composition also caused the coins to wear more quickly than bronze, making high grade specimens even scarcer. Like the United States half cents of the same period, many varieties exist, avidly pursued by specialists.
Recorded mintage: 300 proofs.
Specification: bronze plated copper.
Catalog reference: S.3949; KM-726a.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Frank Draskovic and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 80: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2014.
- 1839 ¼ farthing
- 1839 farthing
- 1839 penny
- 1839 Maundy penny
- 1839 1½ pence
- 1839 Maundy tuppence
- 1839 threepence
- 1839 Maundy groat
- 1839 sixpence
- 1839 shilling
- 1839 half crown
- 1839 half sovereign
- 1839 sovereign
- Great Britain 1839 5 pounds "Una and the lion"
- 1841 ½ penny
- return to coins of Great Britain
- Coins and currency dated 1839