Great Britain 1839 half crown
"Victoria Proof Halfcrown 1839, Young Head, plain edge, medal rotation die alignment (not so noted under this variety in Spink), PR65 PCGS, a superb gem of a specimen with sparkling mirror fields and simply exquisite, vibrant iridescent toning -- bright blue, pinkish gold, violet -- through which the brilliance of the surfaces gleams. Just a stunning coin! Very rare in this wonderful state of preservation."This bust was used on the half crown 1839-50 with a few proof only dates 1851-64. The "second" young head, with a less flattering bust, was used 1874-87.
Recorded mintage: unknown but rare. The proofs are more common than the business strikes.
Specification: 14.14 g, .925 fine silver, .420 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S3885, KM 740.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3015, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2011.
- 1839 ¼ farthing
- 1839 farthing
- 1839 half penny
- 1839 penny
- 1839 Maundy penny
- 1839 1½ pence
- 1839 Maundy tuppence
- 1839 threepence
- 1839 Maundy groat
- 1839 sixpence
- 1839 shilling
- 1839 half sovereign
- 1839 sovereign
- Great Britain 1839 5 pounds "Una and the lion"
- 1840 ½ crown
- Coins and currency dated 1839
- return to coins of Great Britain