Great Britain 1839 3 pence
The first specimen was lot 30698 in Heritage sale 3029 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $734.38. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Proof Threepence 1839, PR65 NGC. Electrifying blue and purple color encircles the edges. Mirrored surfaces give the obverse fields the appearance of concavity. Very scarce as a proof and from the same set as the famed 'Una & the Lion' 5 Pound. Ex: 'Colonel' E.H.R. Green; Green Estate' Partnership of Eric P Newman/B.G. Johnson." The second specimen was part of lot 33068 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), which sold for $3,120. The catalog description noted, "Victoria 4-Piece Certified Proof Maundy Set 1839 NGC, 1) Penny - PR64, KM 727 (listed as prooflike); 2) 2 Pence - PR65, KM 729 (listed as prooflike); 3) 3 Pence - PR65, KM 730 (listed as prooflike); 4) 4 Pence - PR64, KM 732 (listed as prooflike); KM-MDS89. A very impressive rendition of this second-year maundy set from Victoria's reign, not often seen in this Proof presentation, and with eye-catching blue and amber tones on each piece, clearly indicating that they have long been together. From the Lake County Collection." This type was struck 1838-87 in considerable quantities. This was the smallest silver denomination struck for circulation after the reform of 1817; silver pennies, tuppence and groats were thereafter struck only for the Maundy sets.
Recorded mintage: 570,000 plus 4.356 from the Maundy sets plus proofs.
Specification: 1.41 g, .925 silver, .042 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 730, S-3914.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Stuart Levine and Bruce Lorich, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3029, featuring Selections from the Eric P. Newman Collection, Part III, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.
- 1838 threepence
- 1839 ¼ farthing
- 1839 farthing
- 1839 half penny
- 1839 penny
- 1839 Maundy penny
- 1839 1½ pence
- 1839 Maundy tuppence
- 1839 Maundy fourpence
- 1839 sixpence
- 1839 shilling
- 1839 half crown
- 1839 half sovereign
- 1839 sovereign
- Great Britain 1839 5 pounds "Una and the lion"
- 1845 threepence
- Coins and currency dated 1839
- return to coins of Great Britain