Great Britain 1839 2 pence
This specimen was part of lot 33068 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), which sold for $3,120. The catalog description noted, "Victoria 4-Piece Certified Proof Maundy Set 1839 NGC, 1) Penny - PR64, KM 727 (listed as prooflike); 2) 2 Pence - PR65, KM 729 (listed as prooflike); 3) 3 Pence - PR65, KM 730 (listed as prooflike); 4) 4 Pence - PR64, KM 732 (listed as prooflike); KM-MDS89. A very impressive rendition of this second-year maundy set from Victoria's reign, not often seen in this Proof presentation, and with eye-catching blue and amber tones on each piece, clearly indicating that they have long been together. From the Lake County Collection." This silver tuppence was struck 1838-87 for the Maundy sets long after the coin had ceased to circulate. A few dates (1838, 1843, 1848) were struck for use in British Guiana and the Caribbean.
Recorded mintage: 4,488.
Specification: 0.94 g, .925 fine silver, .028 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 729.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.
- 1839 ¼ farthing
- 1839 farthing
- 1839 half penny
- 1839 penny
- 1839 Maundy penny
- 1839 1½ pence
- 1839 threepence
- 1839 Maundy groat
- 1839 sixpence
- 1839 shilling
- 1839 half crown
- 1839 half sovereign
- 1839 sovereign
- Great Britain 1839 5 pounds "Una and the lion"
- 1842 tuppence
- Coins and currency dated 1839
- return to coins of Great Britain