Great Britain 1839 1-1/2 pence
This specimen was lot 3197 in Goldberg sale 87 (Los Angeles, September 2015), where it sold for $129.25. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. 1 ½ Pence, 1839. Victoria. Gem Uncirculated. A rather special example of this diminutive coin. Well struck with a delightful golden-grey toning. NGC graded MS-65." This three-halfpence was struck for circulation in Jamaica and Ceylon 1838-43 and 1860-62. The denomination never appeared in Maundy sets and has not been struck since.
Recorded mintage: 760,000.
Specification: 0.70 g, .925 fine silver, .021 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S.3915; KM-728.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 87: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2015.
- 1838 threepence
- 1839 ¼ farthing
- 1839 farthing
- 1839 half penny
- 1839 penny
- 1839 Maundy penny
- 1839 Maundy tuppence
- 1839 threepence
- 1839 Maundy groat
- 1839 sixpence
- 1839 shilling
- 1839 half crown
- 1839 half sovereign
- 1839 sovereign
- Great Britain 1839 5 pounds "Una and the lion"
- 1843 1½ pence
- Coins and currency dated 1839
- return to coins of Great Britain