Great Britain 1836 half crown
This specimen was lot 29895 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), where it sold for $3,760. The catalog description noted, "William IV 1/2 Crown 1836 MS64 PCGS, Royal mint. A lovely coin with attractive, natural surfaces and significant residual luster. We note that we sold an MS63 example of this date in January, 2015 for $1,700 hammer. From The Bob Bennett Collection." This type was struck 1834-37 and is expensive in nice condition.
Recorded mintage: 993,000.
Specification: 14.14 g, .925 fine silver, this specimen 14,13 g.
Catalog reference: S. 3834, KM 714.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.