Great Britain 1834 3 pence
This specimen was part of lot 23063 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), which sold for $660. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Maundy Set, 1834. PCGS PL-64 & PL-65 Secure Holders. 4 pieces in set. Includes: Penny (PCGS PL-64), 2 Pence (PCGS PL-64+), 3 Pence (PCGS PL-65), and 4 Pence (PCGS PL-64). From a mintage of only 2,574 pieces. Each is sharply struck with flashy proof-like surfaces and frosted devices. Each displays a plethora of complementary colors which seamlessly transitions into each other. A lovely well matched set with great eye appeal. Clearly a set which sat for a prolonged period of time undisturbed. PCGS PL-64 (2), PL-64+ (1), & PL-65 (1) Secure Holders." This type was struck for the Maundy sets and for circulation 1831-37.
Specification: 1.41 g, .925 fine silver.
Recorded Mintage: 2,904 + 200,000 for circulation.
Catalog reference: KM-MDS82 (set); S-3840 (set), KM 710, S-3842.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.