Great Britain 1831 half penny
This specimen was lot 33053 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $780. The catalog description noted, "William IV bronzed Proof 1/2 Penny 1831 PR65 Brown Cameo NGC, KM 706a, S-3847. Rarely found in this stunning cameo level, ultra-watery and subtly mauve. From the Lake County Collection." Farthings were struck for William IV 1831, 1834 and 1837 and priced about the same as halfpence of George IV.
Recorded mintage: 806,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 8.8 g, copper, 28 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 706 (regular issue), KM 706a (bronzed proof), S-3848.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.