Great Britain 1827 sovereign
This specimen was lot 24290 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $1,645. The catalog description noted, "George IV gold Sovereign 1827, Bare Head, AU58 NGC, lustrous and boldly detailed, lovely light yellow gold. Very scarce date." This type was struck for George IV 1825-30 and despite substantial mintages, all the dates are scarce.
Recorded mintage: 2,267,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold, .235 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3801, KM 696.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.