Great Britain 1826 shilling
This specimen was lot 33075 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $216. The catalog description noted, "George IV Shilling 1826 MS63 NGC. A rich slate gray patina has muted the surfaces but creates a timeless aged appearance." This type is reported for 1825-29 and superseded the laureate wreath type (KM 687). An overdate, 1826/2, is reported.
Recorded mintage: 6,352,000 plus a few proofs.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 694, S-3812.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.