Great Britain 1826 farthing
This specimen was lot 24064 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $470. The catalog description noted, "George IV Proof Farthing 1826, Bare Head, PR65 BN NGC, bronzed and a beauty. Taken from one of the proof sets of this year, made for sale to aristocratic collectors of the day." This type was struck for George IV 1826-30 and is fairly common but the proofs are rare.
Recorded mintage: 6,666,000 (KM 677 and KM 697) plus 150 proofs (shown here).
Catalog reference: S-3825, KM 697a.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.