Great Britain 1826 1/2 sovereign
"Lovely George IV 1826 Proof Set. GREAT BRITAIN. Proof Set, 1826. George IV (1820-30). PCGS PROOF-63 to PROOF-65 DEEP CAMEO Secure Holders. S-PS1; Fr-373/374, 377a, 380a; WR-213, 228, 237, 249. 10 pieces in set. The denominations in the proof set includes: 5 Pounds (PCGS PR-63DCAM), 2 Pounds (PCGS PR-64CAM), Sovereign (PCGS PR-65DCAM), 1/2 Sovereign (extra tuft, PCGS PR-63CAM), Crown (PCGS PR-63), 1/2 Crown (PCGS PR-63), Shilling (PCGS PR-64), 6 Pence (PCGS PR-64), 1/2 Penny (bronzed, PCGS PR-63), and Farthing (bronzed, PCGS PR-64). The proof set includes a red leather case marked inside 'SPINK & SON, LONDON', which is likely newer than the coins. The Farthing and 1/2 Penny each display a lovely smooth glossy rich chocolate patina with just a hint of a blue sheen amongst the devices. While the silver issues each display a lovely slate grey highlighted with beautiful blue, red, purple and golden hues in varying degrees over hard flashy surface and frosted devices. The gold issues remain bright, flashy and highly lustrous with just a hint of honey gold tone. The set is missing the Penny. A handsome set pleasing to the eye and sure to be a welcome addition to the next collection it enters. From the Braemore Collection."This three year type is noted for 1826-28. It superseded the laureate head of 1823-25 (KM 689). The mintage recorded here represents a substantial retreat from the levels of 1817-20, when millions were made; this type is decidedly expensive in nice condition. Large mintages would resume in 1835.
Recorded mintage: 345,000.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: KM 700.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.