Great Britain 1824 shilling
This specimen was lot 30845 in Heritage sale 3035 (Long Beach, September 2014), where it sold for $1,233.75. The catalog description noted, "George IV Shilling 1824 MS65 NGC. This is the sole MS65 graded by NGC, with one graded higher at 66 (which we sold in our April, 2014 CICF auction), and is tied with one other graded MS65 by PCGS. Without a doubt worthy of a strong bid by the collector seeking top-quality material." This type is reported for 1823-25 and is rather scarce.
Recorded mintage: 4,158,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM687, S-3811.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, and Warren Tucker, Heritage Signature Auction 3035, World and Ancient Coins, featuring the FoxLair Collection and the Law Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.