Great Britain 1823 shilling
This specimen was lot 24070 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $822.50. The catalog description noted, "George IV Shilling 1823, Laureate Head, MS64 NGC, sharply struck with golden gray toning." This type was struck for George IV 1823-25 and is rather scarce.
Recorded mintage: 693,000.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver, .168 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3811, KM 687.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.