Great Britain 1820 shilling
This specimen was lot 22492 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Anaheim, CA, August 2016), where it sold for $129.25. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Shilling, 1820. NGC MS-61. Highly lustrous covered with medium golden gray toning." The type was struck 1816-20 and features the bust of George III, by then subject to the regency of his son the Prince of Wales. This date is common.
Recorded mintage: 7,975,000.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver, .168 troy oz.
Catalog reference: S-3790; KM-666.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2016 Anaheim ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.