Great Britain 1818 penny
This specimen was part of lot 33372 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), which sold for $352.50. The catalog description noted, "George III Four Coin Maundy Set 1818 UNC. A notable set that would enhance any collection. Old collector toning with a crisp strike." This type was struck 1817-20 and is fairly common. No copper pennies were struck between 1807 and 1825. Silver pennies are still struck for the Maundy sets.
Recorded mintage: 9,504 for Maundy sets plus more for circulation.
Specification: .47 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 668, S-3716, KM-MDS64 (set).
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.