Great Britain 1798 guinea
This specimen was lot 40151 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $3,737.50. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Guinea, 1798. NGC MS-64. George III (1760-1820). Demarete Collection." This type, one of several used during George's long reign, is noted for 1787-99. No guineas were issued after this type until a small issue of 1813. The reform of 1817 terminated all guinea-denominated issues in favor of the sovereign. At that time the guinea, which heretofore had varied in value, was fixed at 21 shillings.
Recorded mintage: unknown but not a rare date.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold, .246 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-356; S-3729; KM-609.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.