Great Britain 1790 guinea
"Grossbritannien, George III. 1760-1820. Guinea 1790, London. Fast vorzüglich. Kleine Kratzer. (kingdom of Great Britain, George III, 1760-1820, guinea of 1790, London mint. About extremely fine, Small scratches.)"This type, the commonest of several used during George's long reign, is noted for 1787-99. The reform of 1817 terminated all guinea-denominated issues in favor of the sovereign. At that time the guinea, which heretofore had varied in value, was fixed at 21 shillings.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold, .246 troy oz AGW, this specimen 8.36 g.
Catalog reference: S-3729, Schl. 32. Fr-356; KM-609.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Richter, Jürg, Auction 46, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2018.