Great Britain 1786 1/2 guinea
"George III. 1760-1820. 1/2 Guinea 1786, London. Vorzüglich-FDC. (kingdom of Great Britain, George III, 1760-1820, half guinea of 1786, London mint. Extremely fine-uncirculated.)"The bust of 1774 (Fr-360) must have displeased mint officials as it was replaced before 1775 was over by this portrait. The guinea did not suffer a similar blunder.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.175 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 4.20 g.
Catalog reference: S-3734; Fr-361; KM-605.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Richter, Jurg, Sincona Auction 51: Gold and Silver Coins and Medals; Coins and Medals from Switzerland, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2018.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.