Great Britain 1785 1/2 guinea
This specimen was lot 6555 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $763.75. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Guinea, 1785. George III (1760-1820). NGC AU-58. WINGS Approved. Fourth head. Good strike, lightly toned with attractive underlying luster." The bust of 1774 (Fr-360) must have displeased mint officials as it was replaced before 1775 was over by this portrait. The guinea did not suffer a similar blunder.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.175 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3734; Fr-361; KM-605.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.