Great Britain 1776 1/3 guinea
This specimen was lot 20319 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $3,290. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. George III, 1760-1820. Pattern Third-Guinea, 1776. NGC PF-62. Distinctive and Rare 1776 Yeo Pattern Laureate bust right encircled by titles. Rv. Crowned lion stands atop the crown; titles continue, date at top. Engraved by Richard Yeo. Plain edge. Rarity-3 in W&R. A very distinctive design and designated here as a Proof, though some diagnostics fit the criteria and some do not. Nonetheless, a significant and stirring design. Lovely reflective surfaces reveal only light hairlines when viewed carefully. The initial impression is stunning. Ex: Spink, 1981." This denomination did not go into production until 1797, at which time a different bust was used.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 2.78 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-Not listed; Fr-Not listed; KM-Pn55. Wilson & Rasmussen-137.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.