Great Britain 1775 1/2 guinea Fr-360
This specimen was lot 20305 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $9,694. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. George III, 1760-1820. NGC MS-62. Rare “Less Fine Style” 1775 Half-Guinea Third laureate bust right. Rv. Crowned quartered shield with arms. This rare type, sometimes referred to as 'less fine' or 'inferior,' was issued for only two years. Brilliant, though some hairlines are visible upon inspection. Ex: Spink, 1984." This bust must have displeased mint officials as it was replaced before 1775 was over by Fr-361. The guinea did not suffer a similar blunder.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.175 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3733; Fr-360; KM-603.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.