Great Britain 1773 half penny
This specimen was lot 34812 in Ponterio sale 177 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $391. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Penny, 1773. NGC MS-65 RB. George lll (1760-1820). Ex: Cheshire Collection." This type was issued 1770-75. It is not rare but it did little to alleviate the small change shortage of the late eighteenth century. The next half penny issue is dated 1799.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: S-3774; KM-601.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 177: The August 2013 Chicago ANA Auction, World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.