Great Britain 1773 guinea
This specimen was lot 12130 in Ponterio sale 169 (Baltimore, November 2012), where it sold for $1,821. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Guniea, 1773. NGC AU-55. George III (1760-1820)." This type, one of several used during George's long reign, is noted for 1765-73.
Recorded mintage: unknown but scarce.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold, .246 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-354; S-3727; KM-600.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 169: The November 2012 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2012.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.