Great Britain 1769 guinea
This specimen was lot 34827 in Heritage sale 3038 (Dallas, January 2015), where it sold for $1,762.50. The catalog description noted, "George III gold Guinea 1769 AU55 NGC. Third laureate bust type. A scarce issue and highly coveted by collectors of better British co[i]ns. Strong golden luster with little noticeable wear." This type is listed for 1765-73 and is the first guinea of George III not extremely rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S. 3727, KM 600.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3038, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.