Great Britain 1766 guinea
This specimen was lot 20868 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $1,175. The catalog description noted, "George III gold Guinea 1766, 3rd Bust, XF Details 'rim filing' NGC, nice smooth surfaces and some luster. The edge is nearly indiscernible in the slab. The early dates of this series for George III are all scarce." This type is listed for 1765-73 and is the first guinea of George III not extremely rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3727, KM 600.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.