Great Britain 1762 1/4 guinea
This specimen was lot 20330 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $1,058. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. George III, 1760-1820. Quarter-Guinea, 1762. First laureate head right. Rv. Crowned quartered shield with arms. A one-year type from early in George III’s reign. A gorgeous example displaying glimmering prooflike surfaces and a strong strike. NGC MS-63. Ex: Bowers and Ruddy Galleries, 1981." This date is accompanied by a rare half guinea. This is the last issue of the denomination (five shillings threepence).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 2.08 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3741; Fr-368; KM-555.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.