Great Britain 1760 guinea
This specimen was lot 20278 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $3,055. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. George II, 1727-1760. Guinea, 1760. Old laureate bust left. Rv. Crowned quartered arms in ornate, garnished cartouche. Final year of issue and reign. Quite lustrous and exhibiting riveting hair detail. Faint wear is noted on the highest obverse curl. Quintessential Baroque styling. NGC AU-58. Ex: Carr, 1973." This type was struck 1747-60 and is by far the most affordable guinea of George II.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3680; Fr-344; KM-588.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.