Great Britain 1759 1/2 guinea
This specimen was lot 20280 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $2,232. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. George II, 1727-1760. Mint State 1759 Half-Guinea Old laureate bust left. Rv. Crowned quartered arms in ornate, garnished cartouche. There is a small raised die break on the bottom obverse edge. This is a wonderful piece that has all you could hope for. Mint State, not far from FDC. Frosty, crisp luster complements the full strike. NGC MS-63. Ex: Lubbock, 1983 ANA." This type was struck 1747-60 and is by far the most affordable gold coin of George II.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.175 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3685; Fr-349; KM-587.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.