Great Britain 1758 guinea
This specimen was lot 30985 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $2,160. The catalog description noted, "George II gold Guinea 1758 AU53 NGC, Royal mint. Extremely pleasing for the assigned grade, the raised devices imbued with residual luster and a magnificent orange-russet patina. A characterful piece of high eye-appeal." The guineas of George II come in many varieties and this one, struck 1747-60, is the fifth. All dates are scarce but this is probably the most available guinea of this ruler.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold, .246 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 588, S-3680, Fr-344.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.