Great Britain 1741 5 guineas
"A Beautiful George II 5-Guineas Piece George II gold 5 Guineas 1741, Young Laureate Bust, garnish on the crown altered from the previous type, DECIMO QVARTO edge, MS62 NGC, a really lovely and, in reality, a decidedly Choice UNC 'fiver' blessed with a truly exceptional strike and most pleasing deep gold toning over satiny luster. The king's portrait and the large crowned shield, as well as all lettering and the digits of the date, are bold in all details. The luster glows with a satiny blush, and the fields are slightly 'dished,' imparting great eye-appeal to this excellent coin. Date appears to be recut 4/3, not noted on grading insert. Five Guineas have at times sold for prices far exceeding SCBC values or auction estimates, and sometimes they have been a bit soft, depending on external circumstances, but a coin like this -- the most impressive in size and the most intrinsically valuable of English gold issues -- should excite many bidders worldwide, and the state of the economy should in truth matter comparatively little when serious collectors are presented with an opportunity such as this to obtain a coin of exceptional quality. Rare so fine."This type is recorded for 1729-41 but all dates are rare. The similar "E.I.C." type was struck 1729 only.
Recorded mintage: unknown but rare.
Specification: 41.75 g, .917 fine gold, 1.230 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S3663A, KM-571.1.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3015, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2011.