Great Britain 1739 shilling
The first specimen was lot 21066 in Heritage sale 3010 (Boston, August 2010), where it sold for $1,092.50. The catalog description noted, "George II Shilling 1739, Roses reverse, MS64 NGC, original light silvery gold surfaces, good details on all design elements, very scarce so fine." The second specimen was lot 72052 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, October 2019), where it sold for $80. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Shilling, 1739. London Mint. George II. PCGS EF-45 Gold Shield. Large (normal) Garter Star variety. Even wear throughout, with some pleasing cabinet tone. A minor spot in the field on the obverse is noted for completeness. From the Regent Crest Collection." The third specimen was lot 1451 in Goldberg sale 116 (Los Angeles, June 2020), where it sold for $600. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Shilling, 1739. George II. Obverse young bust of king left. Reverse; Crowned cruciform shields, roses in angles. Lustrous mint state with reflective surfaces and a light golden peripheral tone. Rare thus. PCGS graded MS-62." This type was struck with numerous variants 1727-41 and is fairly common in worn condition. A scarce 1739/7 overdate is reported. The mint did not produce near enough small change for the industrial boom of the eighteenth century, leading to a proliferation of private tokens. The situation would not be rectified until the reform of 1817.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.02 g, .925 fine silver, .179 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S.3701; ESC-1201; KM-561.4.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Tucker, Warren, Scott Cordry and John Kraljevich, Heritage Sale 3010: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The October 2019 Collector's Choice Sale: World and Ancient Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 116: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2020.