Great Britain 1739 crown
This specimen was lot 13181 in Ponterio sale 177 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $15,275. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1739. NGC MS-65. George II (1727-60). Sharply struck with prooflike luster. Deep beautiful old English cabinet toning. The finest certified by both NGC & PCGS for all types of young head crowns for George II." This type is listed for 1739 and 1741.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 30.10 g, .925 fine silver, .895 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3687; KM-575.2; ESC-122, Dav-1348.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 177: The August 2013 Chicago ANA Auction, World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.