Great Britain 1736 guinea
This specimen was lot 1060 in Ponterio sale 182 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $4,406.25. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Guinea, 1736. PCGS MS-62 Secure Holder. George II (1727-60). From the Argo Collection." George II guineas come in numerous varieties and this type was issued 1732-38.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-339; S-3674; KM-573.3.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 182: The January 2014 NYINC Auction: World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stacks Bowers LLC.