Great Britain 1732 guinea
This specimen was lot 20427 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2020), where it sold for $3,120. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Guinea, 1732. London Mint. George II. NGC AU-55. Large Obverse Letters variety. A RARE issue, this enchanting example features a good deal of luster remaining as well as little evidence of any actual wear. Charming, wholesome, and radiant." The guinea was struck in numerous varieties in 1732: KM 573.1 (narrow bust); KM 573.2 (E.I.C.); KM 573.3 (large bust, shown here, struck 1732-38 but 1732 rare); KM 573.4 (E.I.C.).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3674; Fr-339; KM-573.3.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The January 2020 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.