Great Britain 1717 1/2 guinea
This specimen was lot 20258 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $3,055. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. George I, 1714-1727. Half-Guinea, 1717. Exquisite and Near Mint State Half-Guinea First laureate bust right. Rv. Crowned cruciform shields with scepters in angles. An exquisite coin boasting fabulous original orange-rose toning over somewhat prooflike surfaces. Light cabinet wear only. A mighty ambassador for this type in all regards. NGC AU-58. Ex: Steinberg, 1985." This type was struck 1715-24 and is quite a bit more affordable than the full guinea.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.175 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3635; Fr-329; KM-541.1.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.