Great Britain 1713 guinea
This specimen was lot 20245 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $4,112. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Anne, 1702-1714. Guinea, 1713. NGC AU-55. Third draped bust left. Rv. Crowned cruciform shields with scepters in angles; post-union shields, broader style. Conservatively graded, virtually as made. Lustrous and bold. Ex: Kreisberg, 1973." This type was struck 1710-14 but normally comes heavily worn.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3574; Fr-320; KM-534.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 5th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2010.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.