Great Britain 1709 guinea Fr-320
This specimen was lot 20244 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $1,528. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Anne, 1702-1714. Guinea, 1709. NGC VF Details--Obv. Scratch. Second draped bust left. Rv. Crowned cruciform shields with scepters in angles; post-union shields, broader style. Deep toning conceals the mentioned obverse field scratch. Ex: Seaby, 1982." This type was struck 1707-09 with (Fr-322) and without (shown here) the elephant symbol below the bust.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3572; Fr-320; KM-529.1.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.