Great Britain 1703 half crown
This specimen was lot 6542 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $235. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Crown, 1703-VIGO. Anne (1702-14). NGC VF-25. "VIGO" under bust. Struck from silver seized at Vigo Bay, Spain. Attractive old cabinet toning." Other half crowns were struck for queen Anne dated 1704-14. This date is fairly common but its popularity has raised its price.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 15.05 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: S-3580; ESC-569; KM-518.2.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.