Great Britain 1701 2 guineas
This specimen was lot 31618 in Heritage sale 3076 (Long Beach, CA, September 2019), where it sold for $7,200. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain: William III gold "Fine Work" 2 Guineas 1701 XF45 NGC, Bearing the ever-popular elaborate portrait engraved by Croker and championed by Isaac Newton, the depth of detail to this superb double Guinea has meant that despite its light circulation it nonetheless captures the eye with its sharpness. Representing a turning point in the quality of Royal Mint emissions, these types rarely arise for sale and as such this piece should not be missed by the dedicated Two Guinea collector." This is the only two guineas of the reign.
Recorded mintage: unknown but rare.
Specification: 16.70 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-312, KM 507, S-3457.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3076, featuring the Allen Moretti Swiss Collection and the James Mossman Collection of Canadian Coinage, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.