Great Britain 1698 penny
This specimen was part of lot 22791 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), which sold for $780. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Maundy Set, 1698. William III (1694-1702). Nicely struck with even tone and strong underlying luster. Quite exceptional for this normally well circulated issue. All designated prooflike by PCGS. Provenance: From the Q. David Bowers Collection." This type is listed for 1698-1700 yet is fairly common.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 0.50 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 499; S-3553; KM-MDS30.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.