Great Britain 1698 guinea Fr-313
This specimen was lot 40319 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $5,040. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Guinea, 1698. William III (1694-1702). PCGS AU-55 Gold Shield. A handsome example with mild, even wear. Luster and sunset orange tone amongst the legends and other protected areas." This type was struck with (Fr-314) and without (shown here) the elephant symbol below the bust.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3460; Fr-313; KM-498.1.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.