Great Britain 1697 crown
This specimen was lot 10401 in Ponterio sale 169 (Baltimore, November 2012), where it sold for $7,461. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1697. PCGS EF-40 Secure Holder. William III (1694-1702). Second harp in left shield. This particular variety is a one year type. Coincraft states that examples may not exist higher than EXTREMELY FINE PLUS. Toned, slightly weak strike." The crowns of William III for 1695-1700 vary only slightly but this is the scarcest date.
Recorded mintage: unknown but rare.
Catalog reference: S-3473; KM-494.2; ESC-96 (R3); Coincraft-W3CR-095, Dav-3782.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1600-1700, Galesburg, IL, 1974.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 169: The November 2012 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2012.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.