Great Britain 1697-C half crown
This specimen was lot 32963 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $408. The catalog description noted, "William III 1/2 Crown 1697-C AU53 NGC, Chester mint. Scarcer provincial mint. Lightly circulated with nearly full detail remaining. From the Lake County Collection." This type of 1696-97 was issued from many branch mints as part of a major recoinage directed by Sir Isaac Newton. This specimen comes from Chester.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 15.05 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 491.9, S-3489.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.