Great Britain 1689 guinea Fr-303
This specimen was lot 30892 in Heritage sale 3049 (Long Beach, September 2016), where it sold for $3,760. The catalog description noted, "William & Mary gold Guinea 1689 VF35 NGC, Royal mint. The first year from this short-lived series featuring the conjoined busts of William and Mary with wear that evenly affects the busts and grade-defining marks throughout the fields. A lovely example of the type and very much collectible at this level." This type was struck with (Fr-305) and without (shown here) the elephant symbol below the busts.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: KM 474.1, S-3426, Fr-304.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3049, featuring the Ohio Valley Collection, the Redwood Collection and the F.P. Briand Collection, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.