Great Britain 1687 shilling
This specimen was lot 10400 in Ponterio sale 169 (Baltimore, November 2012), where it sold for $411. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Shilling, 1687/6. James II (1685-88). Light, unobtrusive scratch between two shields. Toned." This type was struck 1685-88 during James's short reign. Later shillings of William III are much more common.
Recorded mintage: unknown but scarce.
Specification: .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: S-3410; KM-451.1.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 169: The November 2012 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2012.