Great Britain 1687 2 guineas
This specimen was lot 20211 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $6,462. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. James II, 1685-88. 2 Guineas, 1687. NGC XF-45. Laureate bust left. Rv. Crowned cruciform shields with scepters in angles. A bold example that still retains luster. Another excellent milled type coin from this short reign. Ex: Seaby, 1981." This type was struck 1687-88 only.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 16.7 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3399; Fr-294; KM-464.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.